Saint Olave's Anglican Church
Just a few steps south of Bloor Street, at 360 Windermere Avenue (on the West side) Olave's Anglican Church nestles.
About The St. Olave's Church
St. Olave's was the first Church built in the village (1887) and was located at 43 Windermere Avenue. The site was given by Mr. James Worthington as a mission of Saint Anne's Gladstone for the employees of the Bolt Works which he owned at the foot of Windermere. The first Church held 115 persons.
Today's St. Olaves' Anglican Church, built in the perpendicular Gothic Revival Style, was commenced in 1926 from drawings by J. A. Harey and completed in 1937 under the rectorate of The Rev. Canon Sextus Stiles. This present church will seat 450 persons. The chapel was added in 1950. The baptismal font was donated by Old St. Olave's, Hart Street, London, England. The three stained-glass windows in the chancel were installed as a memorial to John Ellis, one of the Church's founders. In the 1950s stained glass windows by Yvonne Williams were added to the nave.
(Source: Swnasea Historical Society)
Other Churches in the area:
Farmer Memorial | Morningside High Park | St. Pius X | Windermere United | Swansea Baptist